Mission & Purposes
Region X Catawba County
The North Carolina State Organization
The Delta Kappa Gamma Society International
DKG Mission Statement
The Delta Kappa Gamma Society International promotes professional and personal growth of women educators and excellence in education.
DKG Vision Statement
Leading Women Educators Impacting Education Worldwide.
- To unite women educators of the world in a genuine spiritual fellowship
- To honor women who have given or who evidence a potential for distinctive service in any field of education
- To advance the professional interest and position of women in education
- To initiate, endorse and support desirable legislation or other suitable endeavors in the interests of education and of women educators
- To endow scholarships to aid outstanding women educators in pursuing graduate study and to grant fellowships to non-member women educators
- To stimulate the personal and professional growth of members and to encourage their participation in appropriate programs of action
- To inform the members of current economic, social, political and educational issues so that they may participate effectively in a world society
The name Delta Kappa Gamma is a combination of the initial letters of three Greek words: ∆ιδασκαοι—Didaskotikai meaning teachers; Κλειδουχοι—Kleidouchai meaning key; and Γυναικεz— Gynaikes meaning women. Today we use DKG. “Society” designates the international organization.
The keypin is the emblem of membership in the Society. The keypin is a golden ellipse with the Greek letters for Delta Kappa Gamma positioned across the center. Above the letters, a wreath of laurel leaves symbolizes the distinction the member has achieved. Below the letters, the cup represents knowledge. The keypin should be worn at each meeting.
Crest & Colors
The crest consists of a red shield with a band of gold. Three tutor roses on the band symbolize the Society's ideals of friendship, loyalty and helpfulness. The cup of knowledge and the laurel wreath on the crest represent achievement. The flaming lamp and the book signify scholarship and knowledge. The Greek letters at the bottom spell Delta Kappa Gamma.
The society's colors are red for courage and gold for loyalty to members and the organization's ideals.
Flower - Red Rose
The red rose, a beautiful creation from nature, reflects beauty of mind and spirit.